Rwanda Reopened for Tourism with Discounted Gorilla Permits
Book Rwanda’s postvovid19 gorilla safari and enjoy huge discounted gorilla permit offers. YES, in June 2020, Rwanda Development Board reopened primate parks for tourism after close to 5 months of closure. The reopening came with huge discounts especially on gorilla permits giving budget visitors a chance to trek the endangered gorillas at a low cost.
Rwanda’s and east African citizens visiting Rwanda to for gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park are to pay $200 while foreign residents pay $500. The offer will run till 31st December 2020. The major reason for the cutting of Rwanda gorilla permit prices is to encourage more travels so as to recover from the huge losses encountered during the lockdown. On the other hand, foreign non-residents are to pay the original $1500 for an hour’s interaction with the endangered gorillas.
“Together with the private sector, Rwanda Development Board is offering attractive all-inclusive tourism packages for Rwanda’s and foreign residents. These packages have been designed to showcase Rwanda’s remarkable leisure and recreational experiences from adventures in the mountains to memorable excursions in Serene landscapes and a taste of or lively cities,” said Rwanda Development Board.
RDB further gave specific guidelines for all visitors planning to enjoy the discounted gorilla safaris in Rwanda and these include:
- All visitors arriving in Rwanda MUST have tested negative for covid19 within 72 hours prior to the flight
- All tourists must take a second covid19 test after arriving in Rwanda. RDB wants to ensure no sick traveller is allowed near the endangered species
- Visitors arriving by charter flights are welcomed in the country
- Visitors who arrive in Rwanda without prior testing will be tested upon arrival and quarantined for 48 hours. After this, a second test is done before allowing the visitor to visit any destination.
- The cost of COVID19 tests in Rwanda are included in the safari package quote
- Departing visitors from Rwanda will be tested again to make sure they are safe.
- Visitors must keep a distance of 10 meters from the endangered primates
- Mandatory hand washing at the park entrance and trekking starting point
- Mandatory wearing of face masks
- Mandatory sanitizing
- The number of people visiting a gorilla family has been reduced to six while those visiting chimpanzees are eight
- A group of 12 people are allowed to visit golden monkeys in Volcanoes National Park
- Tourists can take the first Covid-19 RT-PCR (Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction) test in the country of origin at an ISO certified laboratory, 72 hours before departure and the second test will be taken upon arrival at Kigali International Airport. They should submit their results of the first test to E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org before departure and also upon arrival at Kigali International Airport. They will be expected to wait 8 hours for results of the second test at designated hotels in Kigali. This is applicable to direct flights only.
- While in Rwanda, visitors are reminded to follow the Standard Operating procedures for covid19
- Visitors are to call a toll free number 114 in case of any emergency, feedback or any question.
Specific guidelines for domestic travellers
- Domestic travellers to Nyungwe Forest and Volcanoes National park MUST test negative for covid19 48 hours before
2 Private Covid19 testing by domestic travellers is done by appointment at Petit Stade and Amahoro stadium
- The cost of covid19 testing for Rwanda nationals and foreign residents will be allowed in the park’s permit fee
- Gorilla Trekking is restricted to an hour
Other guidelines to National Park
- Vehicle tyres and tourist footwear must be disinfected at the entrance of the park. All visitors should carry personal sanitizers when visiting Akagera National Park and other tourist destinations in Rwanda
- Keep a physical distance of at least 4 meters away from one another
- One group of six people is permitted for a night drive
- Only six people are allowed for a boat cruise on Lake Ihema
Conclusively, the introduction of discounted Rwanda gorilla permits is a relief for budget travellers to enjoy this lifetime experience at a low cost. Rwanda nationals and foreign residents are called on to take advantage of discounted Rwanda gorilla permits valid till 31st 2020.